Condenser Microphone, Cardioid Black Colour
AudioTrove® Rating for the Neumann TLM 102 MT
4.8/5 Stars From 115 Buyers
10 Reasons To Buy
- Buyers reported that this microphone is excellent value for its price and an incredible asset to their collection for recording. As one of the industry standards, Neumann is the “Porsche” of mics.
- Experienced users note that it is the best entry way into the world of premium high-end microphones, and that it enlightens them to see the clear difference between affordable and premium studio mics.
- When combined with a great hardware rig, the sound is amplified and has a consistent tone.
- Some users also say that the Neumann TLM 102 is the best compact vocal microphone for home and private studios.
- The Neumann TLM 102 was praised by all critics for its exceptional consistency.
- Many reviews said that, considering its limited size, the mic provided the same level of speech clarity as more costly microphones.
- As several users have said, the Neumann TLM 102 is ideal for home studio recording because it produces a simple voiced vocal sound while picking up no ambient noise.
- Some users mentioned that for the price, it can easily compete with high-end microphones.
- Many reviewers stated that the microphone met their standards, praising both the sound quality and the mic's rigid construction quality.
- Some users mentioned that Neumann has a reputation for manufacturing high-quality industry-standard recording microphones, and that it is strongly recommended to invest for the price.
4 Reasons NOT To Buy
- Some users have indicated that additional devices, such as a cable and shockmount, are needed to get the best out of the microphone.
- According to some reviewers, the Neumann TLM 102 has a distinct style of clip that will not work with the majority of stage mic recordings.
- Many users say that there is no holding case other than the cardboard box that it comes in.
- Parts of the microphone can be very fragile, and if not handled with caution, some users have caused harm to their microphones.
Neumann TLM 102 MT Product Research Summary
With its slightly smaller size and fewer features, the TLM102 is one of Neumann's most affordable condenser microphones.
But don't let its small size deter you from considering this top-rated microphone because it maintains the brand's acclaimed sound and build quality at a more affordable price point.
Despite its diminutive scale, the Neumann TLM 102 is a large-diaphragm condenser microphone with a transformerless capacitor that provides the same clarity and quiet function as more costly microphones.
It also has a low-cost edge-terminated diaphragm that raises the maximum SPL without sacrificing sound quality. It has only simple features, with a single Cardioid pattern and no attenuation pads or filter-switches. Though its flexibility is limited, its simple function makes it very easy to set up and use, and some experts describe it as the perfect no-frills grab-and-go microphone for vocal recording.
Neumann is known for manufacturing high-quality industry-standard audio microphones, but they can be expensive and out of reach for certain hobbyists.
Despite this, many practitioners and analysts recommend investing in their microphones, one of which is this one, the Neumann TLM 102, due to its high ranking and strong recommendations.
This mic's most noteworthy characteristic is its extremely clear voice, and although it is advertised for vocal use, its translucent function allows it to fit well with acoustic instruments as well.
- Brand: Neumann TLM 102 MT
- Audio frequency bandwidth: 20 - 20000 Hz
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid
- Color: Black
- Connector Type: XLR Connector
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Impedance: 50 ohms
- Maximum SPL: 144 dB
- Power Requirements: 48V phantom power
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Is there anything else that comes with the microphone?
A: The standard stand mount is included with this product. There's another version, which is more expensive, that comes with a shock mount.
Q: Does this mic come with the cable?
A: The stand mount is included, but no cable is included.
Q: Please recommend software and hardware for connecting the Nuemann 102 to my computer?
A: You'll need an audio interface that supports Phantom Power. If you're working on a tight budget, models like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or the AVID Fast Track Solo will suffice.
Q: The stand mount doesn't fit. What microphone stands are compatible with this microphone?
A: You should be able to get a piece out of the threaded part using a flat head screwdriver. Remove it; it can now fit on your stand.
Q: Will using a pop-filter be counterproductive to the sound when it already has an in-built pop-filter? Can the built-in pop filter be removed?
A: Not at all. In reality, you can use an external pop filter for vocals.
Q: Is it suitable for live music performances?
A: This is usually used as a studio recording microphone, but it would be an ideal alternative for an acoustic show or singer/songwriter performances.
Q: Is a power supply needed for this microphone? If not, will I simply plug it into my audio interface?
A: No, this microphone does not need a power supply. Simply plug it into your audient interface, allow 48v power, and increase your preamp gain.
Q: Is this an XLR microphone?
A: Correct. It works with my old-school 3-prong XLR microphone cables.
Famous artists/producers/musicians/records that used this microphone:
- Nevio Passaro
- Michael Schulte
- Ken Tamplin
- Josh Ramsay